Email Me:
Tchrgrl@gmail.com

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Interactive Phonics Notebook: Word Families and Stinging Nettle Tea

Summer Learning

Another year is about to begin.  I wish I could say that I have been creating all kinds of lessons and materials this summer, but I have been learning in a different way.  I have been reading about herbs and health, and genetic mutations.  Someday I hope to understand at least some of it, but for now, I am starting with a stinging nettle tea infusion drink each day, and an occasional adrenal cocktail (not the fun kind of cocktail) at night.  We teachers have a lot of stress on our plates and I am hoping these two things will help me feel wonderful everyday.  If you are interested in learning more about either of these two things, I will include some more information at the bottom of this post.  

Interactive Phonics Notebook: Word Families

I did finish up a few projects that I started in the beginning of the summer, and this is one of them.  It turned out fabulous, if I do say so myself, and I was able to use it with my niece who is entering kindergarten this year.  She had a lot of fun cutting, gluing, spinning, writing, highlighting and reading.  It is so nice when a kid can have fun and learn at the same time.


The first lesson, is a flip book.  I kept it simple for the beginning readers, only including consonants for the onsets on the main page, but I wanted to have blends and digraphs as an option, so I included cutouts for those in the back of the book.

The second lesson is a picture sort of course! Picture sorts will always be my first love because they teach so much!  If you really want your students to progress more rapidly in reading, using picture sorts will help to accomplish this.  The more students are fluent in listening and identifying sounds, the more they free up working memory to concentrate on putting those sounds together during reading.  So naturally, including a picture sort where students concentrate on whether the word has the rime or not, was important to include to help with developing their phonemic awareness.  

The third lesson is an onset-rime practice game.  Students use a pencil and a paperclip.  They put the pencil through one end of the paperclip, place the tip of the pencil on the dot in the middle of the hexagon, spin the paperclip, and add the onset they land on to the rime.  They do this until they have landed on all the different onsets (I tell them they have to spin again if they already used that onset) and written 6 different words. 

The final lesson is a page that has words containing the word family in which students read and highlight the family.  Then, they practice reading the words in context by reading sentences containing words with the word family.  Rebus pictures and included and all sentences were created using the 25 kindergarten sight words.


Here is a 4-lesson sample:  

Free Interactive Phonics Notebook Word Families 1 week/ 4 lessons Sample


The full set of 30 weeks can be found here:

Interactive Phonics Notebook Word Families 30 Weeks/120 Lessons



Stinging Nettle Infusion and Adrenal Cocktail

Anyone who is interested in obtaining a ton of vitamins and minerals as well as energy, from nature, rather than a supplement, should read more about stinging nettle here:
Susun Weed and here: Stinging Nettle Infusion.  An infusion is unlike a tea, because you brew it for about 8 hours (overnight is great) in order to extract all of the nutrients.  I add a little organic cucumber watermelon lemonade (Costco) to help with the taste.

The adrenal cocktail is also perfect for the everyday stress as a teacher.  It is 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan Salt, 1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar, and 1/2 cup orange juice.   When I started taking it my stress was lessened a lot and I felt it right away within two days of adding it to my regimen.  
You can find more information here: Adrenal Cocktail

Thanks for stopping by!

Anna




TBA

3 comments:

  1. Love your interactive notebooks for these word families! Heading to your store to check out the full set. Thank you so much!

    Ashley
    One Step Closer Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your interactive notebooks for practicing word families look awesome! I'm going to be trying interactive notebooks for the first time this year, I'll be adding these to my Wish List! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Thank you for linking up for Spotlight Saturday, your post was great!
    Have a wonderful week, and a great start to the new school year!!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope your year is fantastic!

      Delete